Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cupcakes 101: Cupcakes in My World

Full disclosure: this isn't my first cupcake taste test. Back in January, I had the mother of all cupcake taste tests - a full baker's dozen split three ways, cutting each cupcake into three parts, each of us tasting the same flavor at the same time. It was mammoth, and quite frankly, a little sick. (and I lied - we maxed out at eight cuppies, and the other four found a good home at work the next day.) I'm hoping this test will be easier on my guts.

We started the Wacky Wednesday Cupcake Challenge last week, when we discovered that our local Cupcake Station had a buy-two-get-one-free offer on Wednesday. Apparently, they call this Wild Wednesday, but I call it Wacky Wednesday. (sort of like how I call the generic Mexican restaurant in town El Rancho Grande, even though it's really called something else.) Anyhoo, last week I had the Chocolate Lovers cupcake - your basic dark chocolate cake with milk chocolate frosting topped with chocolate shavings. But damn, this cuppie was GOOD. Rich and sweet but basic, if I could only eat one cupcake for the rest of my life, this would be the flavor I'd choose. Yes, I say that after week one. How can you go wrong with chocolate cake and chocolate frosting?

Next up, consumed just today, was the Cookies and Cream cupcake (featured in the front of the picture above). I don't remember having a CaC during the January mega-taste, and I tend to like my cupcakes on the simpler side, so I thought CaC would be a solid choice. And it was good, nothing compared to the Chocolate Lovers, but oddly had a faint taste of banana to it. Perhaps this one just sat in the case next to a banana cuppie, or maybe I was having a little stroke, but the undertaste turned me off a little. Passable, but not phenomenal.

Chocolate Lovers - A
Cookies and Cream - B-

3 comments:

  1. Oh Cupcakes how I wish I could join your merry band of tasters.I sincerely hope you are successful.What a wonderful Fathers' Day gift two of the chocolate lovers cupcakes would be.
    Love
    Viejo Fuerte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viejo, don't even worry about it - we'll postpone Wacky Wednesday and have Festive Friday, and you can join us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really hard evening. Pizza and cupcakes were an interesting combination. Seriously. It tasted awesome.

    Not so great twenty minutes later when I couldn't button my pants.

    ReplyDelete